Skip to main content

Dead Birds Don't Fly!

I have felt this and been here before. The North remembers, and so do I. 

There is a feeling of estrangement, sudden and swift; a feeling that makes the familiar corridors, people, tasks, and events feel strange, new, and almost alien and unknown. Something similar to how you feel when you enter a new house: an uneasiness due to unfamiliarity, an intuitive throb that reminds you that you do not belong, that you have to leave (and soon).

Do not confuse this with the constant feeling that some of us carry of not belonging anywhere – at school, at home, with family or friends. This is not about the realization of the depth of our sadness during the loudest of our laughs, or the sense of guilt that pinches us even while we avenge ourselves. This piece is not about the chronic feeling of unbelonging. I have learnt to carry that and feel at home with it now. No, presently I am talking not of that persistent friend.

I am talking about a strange, sudden and violent cascading feeling. It falls without notice, and all at once. It severs ties and makes you a stranger to your present. I remember the first time it fell. It was three years ago (sometime in April). I was standing in a crowded ground at night. I remember being surrounded by the noise and spectacle of an event at the campus, when the air suddenly shifted. As the performer continued, I felt a mist rising in the air (and within my mind). In the blink of an eye, the known place became deeply strange, and alien. A place where I had worked with dedication and love for more than three years felt all of a sudden: not mine. Something told me that my time there was up, and I had nothing more to contribute; nothing left to give. I remember the sickness that followed: the loss of voice, and the pain. I remember the feeling before the final fall: “I won’t have to go there anymore!” Ah, the relief! I remember embracing the possibility of life extinguishing itself with an Edgar Allen Poe style relief: “Nevermore”. I carried that feeling of an unwelcome intruder till I left that place shortly after; I believe the mind can sustain an illusion not for long before it breaks! 

“I will read and teach; I will engage with others on topics that I find interesting; I will get to have interesting, deep and fruitful conversations; I will be a part of discourse and knowledge sharing.” These were the dreams. The University successfully broke them all! What was supposed to be a platform for learning and development, has now mostly transformed into a clerical mundane exercise of useless things that contribute nothing meaningful to knowledge, students, or society. Dead birds don’t fly; and throwing dead birds from high rise buildings is not flight but fall! But who cares!

That heavy mist is creeping again. The corridors I walk are beginning to stretch, the faces around me blurring into the scenery of a play in which I no longer have a part. The North remembers, and the spirit does not forget the quiet violence of an illusion shattering. Only this time, I am not paralyzed by the sickness or the shock of the sudden severing. I recognize this phantom throb for what it is: the house has grown irreparably cold, and that familiar, fatalistic relief beckons from the threshold.

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Future Wife

Dear future wife, ​I am 32, so mathematically, not a lot of future is left. You have a short window to find me and approach. Hope to see you soon. I have stopped looking around as I firmly believe that the best way to be found is to remain completely still. ​Please know that my appraisal-less job requires absolutely all of my time. I hope you are looking for a man whose idea of a thrilling evening is lying half-dead on the couch, brain dead from the work, entirely unaware of his own existence. Your weekends could be spent watching an egg on limbs ambling around the house, muttering about constitutional facts while remaining ignorant of the basic facts of life—like the need for rest, food, or a break. ​If you are lucky (or terribly unlucky), you can spot me roaming around in Sector 21. Look for the bald guy with untucked shirt, jeans, and slippers. (Ha! I believe you can find someone better. My condolences otherwise..) He will have a vaguely philosophical and heavily exhausted look, try...

No attraction without intellectual intimidation

So what is it that makes someone attractive?  I mean, it is only a fleeting biological urge that turns a head – a spark that flashes and fades in a moment. But then there is another kind of attraction — the kind where a single set of eyes become the only reality in an ocean of people. They have a pull so magnetic that the sense of self willingly surrenders, eager to submerge itself entirely. This is not mere infatuation; this is nothing like the experience of romantic love. Unlike the usual relationship urges – which are controlling, obsessive and largely selfish – this is complete and utter devotion. What makes someone ‘ that ’ attractive? How does a person become so vital to your being that they become impervious to the doctrine of severability —where to remove them from your memory would be to strike down the very foundation of who you have become? I mean to say that even when they are not with you, they move with you constantly like a physical absence in your being. I suppo...

Standardized Lobotomy: How Education Perfected the Begging Bowl

In the old days, tyranny was so... obvious. It wore spiked helmets, had dragons, or was just named Joffrey (probably have watched too much Game of Thrones). The modern architects of soul-crushing compliance know that if you want people to stay in their place, you don’t chain their ankles or put their heads on spikes. You simply ensure that most brains have a smooth, frictionless surface where no "dangerous" thought can catch traction. Contemporary education offers a grand lobotomy. Now, the diplomas are printed on expensive parchment and the thinking skills (critical to duur ki baat h) are buried in an unmarked grave beneath the accreditation boards. The education system is no longer a forge for the mind; it is a factory for The Katora. We spend considerable years and hard earned money (money gained from corruption automatically upgrades the quality of your katora) to decide what material our personal begging bowl will be crafted from. In the name of degree or diploma, we hav...